Friday, April 1, 2011

An Open Letter to My Sons

It's a big world out there boys, first take care of each other, the hell with the rest of it.

One day you may be all the other one has. Love each other, support each other and when you can lend a hand to help someone else up too. Help the ones who can't help themselves.

I want to personally apologize to both of you for the fact that you are inheriting a world, a country, that is lost. This country, especially, was set apart to be something different and now it teeters slowly toward its own destruction. With a little luck it might be getting better by the time you inherit it, but I doubt it.

Having siblings gives you both an advantage. Siblings are amazing things, someday everyone you know may leave you behind, if that happens call your brother. Someday you might even have sisters, I will try my best to help you understand how to deal with them. But I may well be out of my depth as I still struggle sometimes trying to figure out how to get along with my own. The best part about having a sibling, though is that you might be ready to pound on them, you are so angry. Until someone else comes along and says something about them. Then you pound that guy.

This is a flawed, fallen, world increasingly giving into a me-first, anything goes lifestyle. Don't buy into that, look for examples all around you of the right kind of man to be. Hopefully by the time you two can understand this I will be that kind of example. If not live life the way Jesus did. Read Philippians 2. Take it to heart, live it.  Be lights in the dark for the people around you.

Always see all of the wonder in creation. From the little bugs to the biggest whales. From the deepest oceans to galaxies far, far away. Learn something new everyday. Always ask why. If you don't know why, find out. 

Don't ever be ashamed of who you are or where you come from. Have regard for your name, since it will remain for you larger than a thousand great stores of gold. The days of a good life are numbered, but a good name endures forever. (Sirach 41:12-13).

Which reminds me, read your Bible. More importantly live the Bible.

I do my best to remember everyday to tell you each how much I love you. If I forget sometimes, don't think I don't love you. Someday I am going to embarrass you. I probably won't mean to, but I will. Love me anyway.

Love your mother. She has done and continues to do a lot for all of us and sacrificed for all of us. Be kind to everyone, even people you don't think deserve it, you don't know what brought them to that point in their lives.

Take care of yourselves. Take care of each other and know how loved you are. Know that wherever you go and whatever you do in this life, I will be right here ready to catch you when you fall. That's my job.

No comments: