Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Book Club

Just call me Oprah because I am rolling out some of my favorite books in this post. I intend this to be a somewhat regular feature. Which means I will probably post a book club whenever I read or remember a great book.

  1. The Spirit of the Liturgy: Written by then Cardinal Ratzinger it s a phenomenal, deep little book about the nature of worship and the Catholic liturgy specifically. Reading it felt like a visit through the history of worship. Also sheds some light on Benedict's views of where the celebration of the Mass has gone off the rails. My biggest complaint with it was that it was way too short.It was barely over 200 pages I could have read 500 pages from him on the topic.
  2. True Grit, Charles Portis: I read this one in high school. I hadn't seen the movie yet, but was of course familiar with John Wayne's look as Rooster Cogburn, because of that I couldn't not see him in my mind as I read. The book is phenomenal and if you like either version of the film you will love the book. Jeff Bridges was really good in the Coen Bros. adaptation but he is no John Wayne, still an amazing film though.
  3. Under the Dome, Stephen King: Get ready to lift some weights with this one. It's hefty but well worth the read. Just don't get hung up on the idea that King ripped off the Simpson's Movie. He says in his author's note that he started this idea in the late 70's. In other words around the same time he was turning out Carrie and The Shining. The story centers on a small Maine town, shocking right, that suddenly has a large impenetrable dome mysteriously descend on it. It is a great story dealing with the ideas of claustrophobia and panic that sets in. There is quite a bit of intrigue in the town as the survivors deal with getting out from under the dome and figuring out where it came from. 
Anybody read any good books out there, let me here about it in the comments.







2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Michael,
I've read 3 1/2 books in the last two months that I really liked (and liking, lol).

I read "Breaking Dawn" & "The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner" by Stephanie Meyer, "Awakened" by P.C. Cast, and am currently reading "The Last Song" by Nicholas Sparks.

Which authors do you like and what type of genre of books do you like?

Your Cousin,
Anna Cay

Michael said...

I like Stephen King a lot, read quite a bit of his stuff. My all-time favorite King book is IT. I also like Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan books. I read anything I can get my hands on pretty much.

Right now I am on a quest to read my bible and catechism this year, slow going so far but I had a head start on the Bible so I only have about half of it left, all Old Testament.

I don't have a true favorite genre, right now I am reading some Dashiell Hammett, the mystery writer. He wrote The Maltese Falcon and The Thin Man.

Thanks for being my first commenter here's hoping for lots more.